Mobile Food Vending
The Village of Shorewood allows mobile food vending, such as food trucks and ice cream trucks. Please read on to learn more about the regulations, the types of licenses, and where a mobile food vendor may locate. You will find links to application forms on this page as well.
Types of Licenses
There are two types of mobile food vending licenses each of which is available on a daily or annual basis. Daily licenses cost $10 and annual licenses cost $75.
Type A Licenses are designed to accommodate businesses that participate in Special Events such as private parties, block parties, and company picnics. Mobile Food Vendors with Type A Annual Licenses may operate for up to 10 consecutive days and 52 total days during any calendar year.
Type B Licenses are designed to accommodate businesses that visit multiple locations throughout the day, such as ice cream trucks and job site canteen trucks. Type B Mobile Food Vendors may stop briefly (for up to 15 minutes) on public streets to serve patrons.
- Mobile food vendors may operate between the hours of 6:00 a.m. and 9:00 p.m. in residential zoning districts and between the hours of 6:00 am and 10:00 pm in non-residential zoning districts.
- No mobile food vending unit shall be left unattended on a public way, obstruct a public way, impair the movement of pedestrians or vehicles, pose a hazard to public safety, violate any parking regulations, cause traffic congestion, block a fire hydrant or other public safety equipment, or block an intersection.
- No mobile food vending unit shall be parked on a right-of-way or in a private residential parking space unless it has stopped to sell food in accordance with the regulations of this chapter.
- Mobile food vendors must obey police officers’ requests to remove or relocate a vehicle from the public way if necessary to avoid such congestion or obstruction.
- No mobile food vendor shall install any signs other than those which are contained within or attached to the vehicle, except with the written permission of the Village and the property owner.
- No mobile food vendors shall install any tables, chairs, or other equipment, except with the written permission of the Village and the property owner.
- No lighting shall be mounted to the mobile food vending unit that may spill onto adjacent residential property as measured from the property line.
- No mobile food vendor shall use utilities drawn from or across the public right-of-way, except with the written permission of the Director of Public Works.
- No mobile food vending unit shall operate a drive-through.
- The weight of the unit must be able to be supported by the paving or street surface.
- The property owner must provide written permission prior to operating on private property.
- The applicable governmental agency must provide written permission prior to operating on public property.
- In order to park within 300 feet of a school, written permission must be obtained from the school or school district.
- In order to park within 300 feet of a public park, written permission must be obtained from the village.
Mobile Food vendors with Type A Licenses:
- may operate in a singular location for no more than 10 consecutive days,
- may operate for no more that 52 total days during any calendar year,
- may only obtain 1 license per vehicle in a single calendar year,
- may only operate in locations that have been approved by the Village, and
- must have written permission from the Village in order to operate on a public street or in the right-of-way.
Mobile Food vendors with Type B Licenses may stop briefly on public or private right-of-way to serve patrons only when conditions are safe. Stops, however, may not exceed a period of fifteen (15) minutes.
- All mobile food vending units shall be kept in a clean and sanitary condition.
- All food storage, preparation, and distribution of food, and vehicle equipment must meet applicable Illinois Department of Public Health and county health department standards and requirements.
- All waste liquids, garbage, litter, and refuse shall be kept in leak-proof, nonabsorbent containers which shall be kept covered with tight-fitting lids and properly disposed of at the end of each day. No waste liquids, garbage, litter, or refuse shall be dumped or drained into sidewalks, streets, gutters, drains, or trash receptacles. A garbage receptacle shall be easily accessible for customer use. Vendor shall be responsible for all litter and garbage left by customers.
- The Zoning Officer, Building Official, Chief of Police, or one of their designees, bearing proper identification, shall be permitted to enter any mobile food vending unit at any reasonable time for the purpose of inspecting to determine whether the vendor has complied with the terms of this title. Additionally, the vendor shall, on request, provide the Zoning Officer with the records of the food truck to obtain information pertaining to food and supplies purchased, received, or used.
Alcohol Consumption & Sales
- No mobile food vendor, driver or operator shall drink any alcoholic beverages, shout or call to prospective customers, or disturb the peace in any manner while on duty.
- Mobile food vendors, operating under Type A Mobile Food Vending Licenses, may only sell alcohol if they have obtained all necessary Village and State liquor licenses.
- Mobile food vendors, operating under Type B Mobile Food Vending Licenses, may not sell alcohol.
- Mobile food vendors shall have all of the necessary health department permits.
- Mobile food vendors shall have insurance that names the Village of Shorewood as additionally insured.
- Mobile food vendors shall prominently display the county health department permits and the Village of Shorewood Mobile Food Vending License.
- Mobile food vendors shall be responsible for paying all applicable Illinois retailers taxes.
- The license shall be valid for one (1) vehicle only.
- The license shall not be transferrable from person to person.
Please click the links below to apply online. Allow 10 days for review.
1st Step - Apply for License
All Mobile Food Vendors must have a valid license to operate within the Village of Shorewood.
Site Location Request for Existing Licensees
Mobile Food Vendors with Type A Licenses must register each location with the Village and obtain site approval prior to operation.
Add a Vendor to an Existing License
Each mobile food vending unit owner, operator, and driver must have a background check by the Shorewood Police Department.
|Background Check Application Form|